FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
October 18, 2022
Contact: Sumeet Bal, firstname.lastname@example.org, (917) 647-1952
Oldest Public Interest Law Firm on West Coast Celebrates 50!
Gala event features founders, keynote Ai-jen Poo, poet activist Porsche Vue accompanied by Jazz star Marcus Shelby, and awards to community changemakers
What: Public Advocates, the oldest public interest law firm in California, will mark 5 decades of historical legal wins, community partnership and social change alongside alums, social justice activists, lawyers and policy makers in San Francisco.
The program will feature a short doc about PA’s social justice contributions and partnership, keynote speaker and president of the National Domestic Workers Alliance, Ai-jen Poo, and a spoken word performance from renowned artist and activist, Porsche Veu, who will be accompanied by famed composer, bassist, bandleader, and educator, Marcus Shelby. Public Advocates will be honoring community changemakers for outstanding commitments to social justice including: Lawyer and PA Board Member Marty Glick (Distinguished Service Award), community partner Californians for Justice (Outstanding Impact Award), bus operator and rank-and-file organizer Sultana Adams (Outstanding Community Leadership).
For the safety of our guests, all attendees will be asked to show proof of COVID vaccinations. Masks will be required indoors and guests will be given the option of viewing the program in indoor and outdoor areas.
When: Thursday, October 20, 2022. 6-8:30 pm PT
Where: The Commonwealth Club, 110 Embarcadero Drive, San Francisco
Who: Speakers (Available for interview)
- Sultana Adams, Bus Operator, rank-and-file organizer for Amalgamated Transit Union Local 192
- John Affeldt Managing Attorney Ed Team
- Marty Glick, Lawyer, PA Board Member
- Richard Marcantonio Managing Attorney
- Guillermo Mayer, CEO & President Public Advocates
- Liz Ryan Murray, Project Director, Alliance for Housing Justice
- Ai-jen Poo, President, National Domestic Workers Alliance
- Marcus Shelby Composer, Jazz Artist
- Justine Santos, Organizer, Californians for Justice (Honoree, Community Award)
- Sam Tepperman-Gelfant Managing Attorney
- Porsche Vue, The Poetic Activist
- Sbeydeh Viveros Walton, Director of Higher Education
Why: Founded by Attorneys Robert Gnaizda, J. Anthony Kline, Sid Wolinsky and Peter Sitkin, PA opened its doors on Turk street in San Francisco in September 1971 to address civil rights issues affecting the daily lives of low-income communities and we continue in working to fill that need today. Over the course of the past year, we have highlighted the important milestones and wins that have brought public advocates to this moment in our history.
Public Advocates Inc. is a nonprofit law firm and advocacy organization that challenges the systemic causes of poverty and racial discrimination by strengthening community voices in public policy and achieving tangible legal victories advancing education, housing, transportation equity, and climate justice.