Senior Communications Manager (Location Flexible Anywhere in CA)
For more than 50 years Public Advocates Inc. (PA) has been on the frontlines of social justice movements in California, making rights real. As a bold and highly regarded nonprofit law firm and advocacy organization that challenges the systemic causes of poverty and racial discrimination, we pride ourselves on our ability to skillfully deploy a pronged approach to create systemic change. Using litigation and enforcement advocacy, policy advocacy, and hard-hitting communication strategies, PA has not only been able to achieve tangible legal and policy victories, but also move public discourse in education, housing and transportation that supports low-income communities of color in building their power and using their voices to influence public decision-making. To learn more about Public Advocates, please visit publicadvocates.org.
The Senior Communications Manager is a newly designed position for Public Advocates and presents an exciting opportunity for a social justice communications professional who wants to take the next step in their professional career. Reporting directly to the Director of Communications, the Senior Communications Manager in partnership with the Director of Communications and Communications Team, will help develop and implement the strategic communications vision for Public Advocates.
The Senior Communications Manager will manage key parts of PA’s communications portfolio, including implementing PA’s strategic communications plan and amplifying its vision, and strategizing and executing around advocacy priorities through earned media and digital tools in partnership with PA’s attorneys and program teams, and providing thought-partnership for its coalition work with partner organizations and allies. The ideal team member is a multi-tasker who wears equal hats as both a creative narrative change strategist and storyteller and as an executor successfully promoting and advancing the advocacy/enforcement work of our program teams, community partners and allies while juggling organizational brand priorities as well.
Key responsibilities of the Senior Communications Manager include, but are not limited to the following:
- Organizational Planning & Strategic Communications
- Support Director of Communications to revise existing communications strategy that is informed by organizational goals, priority areas and the strategic plan
- Create and implement targeted communications plans and messaging houses for reports, briefs, events, and campaigns leveraging multiple platforms and mediums
- In collaboration with Communications team members, help manage the communications and editorial calendar
- Ensure alignment of organizational materials with narrative change priorities and approaches
- Help develop and monitor social media and other communication metrics and analytics to gauge effectiveness and adjust strategies and tactics as needed
- Provide brand-related guidance to staff and contractors as needed
- Regularly update staff, leadership, board, and coalition partners on communications efforts during team and coalition meetings
- Content Development
- Work with programmatic teams and grant writer to translate research and policy papers into briefs, executive summaries and other accessible written formats to share with a broad audience
- Create high-quality digital materials per the editorial calendar and communications plans
- Assist development team w/copy editing and content of fundraising appeals & campaigns
- Develop content and advise team members on developing content for social media, website, and other platforms
- Create communications assets/products using graphic design or work with contracted graphic designers on said products
- Manage organizational website to keep content updated weekly and strategically aligned with organization’s editorial calendar and priorities
- Work w/team to generate and upload creative content to website (blog posts, articles/news clips, video, other documents) and related media
- Respond to website publishing requests as needed and complete regular website updates as assigned
- Assist team w/production and distribution of e-newsletter
- Build communications campaigns that highlight voices of our neighbors, community members
- Media Relations & Brand Management
- Build and nurture relationships with journalists, multicultural and ethnic media, opinion leaders, and a broad range of social and racial justice stakeholders to help advance the mission and efforts of the organization
- Support media engagement for the organization, including cultivating media opportunities, responding to reporters, writing talking points and writing and pitching op-eds
- Support maintenance of press lists and logging of press interactions with reporters and press outlets throughout California
- Send staff alerts regarding press hits
- Produce analytics from the PA website— with attention given to programmatic reports. FAQs, and overall engagement including but not limited to google searches, google ads, google analytics
- Additional duties as assigned
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in a communications-related position preferably in a non-profit, government, legal or related setting
- Demonstrated passion and commitment to the mission and work of PA with a level of persuasiveness to secure support from others
- Demonstrated technical writing, creative storytelling and communications skills and ability to engage with various audiences
- Experience developing organization-wide communications strategies and communications plans for short and long-term projects
- Familiarity implementing strategic communications practices and techniques
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills with a strong focus on creating high-quality content such as policy briefs, executive summaries, policy infographics, press, website and digital announcements
- Ability to update and post on WordPress website as well as set up and send e-action alerts via Muster, Constant Contact, Muckrack, Meltwater (or demonstrated aptitude for learning how to skillfully use new software tools)
- Excellent project management skills including the ability to meet deadlines and effectively handle a variety of time-sensitive tasks and competing priorities
- Experience in editorial work including the planning, development and distribution of communications materials in multiple formats
- Experience with digital communications, including websites, newsletters and social media
- Experience communicating complex policy and research ideas through data storytelling, multimedia projects, and/or other creative strategies
- Proactive nature and eagerness to learn with a growth mindset
- Collaborative leadership; able to contribute to a high functioning team environment
Nice to Have Qualifications
- Willingness to learn new information/content related to PA’s policy areas
- Graphic design skills; proficiency in audio, video, and photography capturing and editing
- Fluent in Spanish
- Qualities expected of all Public Advocates staff include integrity, high professional standards, commitment to progressive social change and working successfully with diverse colleagues, clients and community partners. This includes active participation in promoting healthy workplace culture through our organizational diversity and inclusion initiative – an ongoing and intensive process of communication, trust-building and learning about our individual and organizational areas for growth. We strive to build a culture of cooperation and mutual support and value flexibility, resilience, optimism, curiosity and a sense of humor.
Compensation & Work Setting
The position is a full-time (37.5 hours/week), exempt position. The starting salary range for this role is $72,000-$94,000 and will be dependent on experience. PA also offers an excellent benefits package which includes full health and dental insurance for employee and eligible family members; life and long-term disability insurance; generous vacation and paid holidays; 403(b) retirement plan; and paid sabbatical after 7 years.
We are open to candidates based anywhere in California. However, PA does have headquarters offices in San Francisco near the Ferry Building as well as a downtown Sacramento office located a few blocks from the Capitol. Both are convenient to public transit and we offer access to tax-advantaged commuter benefits.
*At the time of this posting our staff have a hybrid work model based on the community covid-19 levels in SF and Sacramento and commute to the office 1-2 days a week depending on those levels. We continue to adapt our return-to-office strategies to meet the needs of both the organization as well as the staff.
Please note that we have a vaccination policy that requires all employees either establish that they have been fully vaccinated or obtain an approved exemption as an accommodation.
Please submit a cover letter, resume and two communications-related writing samples such as a press release, blog posts, digital media campaigns or a communications plan. In the file name and email subject header, please write the name of the position you are applying for and your last name: e.g. “Senior Communications Manager_Ramirez.”
We invite you to utilize your cover letter as an opportunity to:
- Tell a story that illuminates your interest in PA’s mission and issue areas
- Share how your background and experience align to this position
Please email your application materials to SrCommsMgr@publicadvocates.org by the Application Priority Deadline of Monday, Oct 23, 2023.
Additional questions about the role or interview process can be directed to Vanessa Ramirez, Recruitment Consultant supporting this search at email@example.com.
Public Advocates reflects the rich diversity of California. Sixty percent of our employees and two-thirds of our Board members are people of color. Our senior leadership team also reflects our commitment to diversity. Three of six members — including our President & CEO — are people of color, and two of six members are women.
Public Advocates seeks to fill this position with someone who shares our values, including our organizational commitment to diversity, equity & inclusion. We encourage all interested individuals to apply — especially Black, Indigenous and People of Color; women; people from low-income backgrounds; people with disabilities; people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender or anyone belonging to any other federal or state protected category. Read our Diversity Vision Statement here.
*Those applicants requiring an accommodation to complete the application and/or interview process should send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.